8th IAWRT Asian Women’s Film Festival 2012
Date: Tue, 2012/03/06 - 10:00am - 9:00pm
Price: Free entry
Category: Film screening
Alliance Française de Delhi, in collaboration with the India Chapter of the International Association of Women in Radio and Television, is proud to be part of the eighth edition of Asian Women’s Festival, to be held in New Delhi on 5, 6, 7 March 2012. The event will showcase the works of Asian women filmmakers in a wide range of genres: short, fiction, documentary, animation, experimental, community videos and television features. The term “Asian” refers to the origin of the filmmaker, who can be working in any part of the world. The majority of the selected films have been made in the last two years so that the selection reflects contemporary concerns and fresh energies.
This year, the theme of the festival is “Mediation, Movements and Memories”. The selection of films will explore influences, issues and ideas shaping Asian identities and experiences, offering new perspectives on the contemporary world. 40 films from 13 countries will be screened, running the gamut from international favorites to artistic experiments along the fringes of the genre to community videos and films made by university students. Many screenings are South Asian Premieres and many filmmakers have confirmed their participation and are expected to lead discussions about their works.
The festival is open to all and entry is free.
13 films will be screen on March 6 at Alliance Française de Delhi, in M.L. Bhartia Auditorium.
Chief guest: Aruna Vasudev
10.30am – 1pm
- MEASURING – Nahed Mansour (4 min, 2010, experimental, Canada) International Premiere
- SILENCE – Ava Lanche (3 min, 2008, experimental, Germany)
- BOXING MAIDENS - IIana Navaro (40 min, 2009, documentary, France/ Turkey) International Premiere FOLLOWED BY DISCUSSION WITH THE FILMMAKER
- SOONER OR LATER – Kavita Rai & Ashik Pradhan (2 min, 2011, animation, Bhutan)International Premiere
- HOPE – Fatema Hasani (2 min, 2011, animation, Afghanistan)
- ADDI – Karima Hassanzada (1min, 2009, TV Spot, Afghanistan) World Premiere FOLLOWED BY DISCUSSION WITH THE 4 FILMMAKERS
- MY LETTER TO PIPPA – Bingöl Elmas (60 min, 2010, documentary, France/Turkey)
2pm – 4.30pm
- CHANDA KE JOOTE – Ektara Collective (22 min, 2011, fiction, India)
- 20 DOLLARS – Lam See Chit (15 min, student fiction film, Hong Kong) South Asian Premiere
- EK ASHA – Jyoti Garhewal & Laxminarayan Devda (11min, 2011, India, documentary) World Premiere FOLLOWED BY DISCUSSION WITH THE FILMMAKERS
- GHUGUTI BASUTI – Geetika Juyal (15 min, 2011, India, student film)
- ONE STEP BEYOND – Tülin Da? (44 min, 2011, documentary, Turkey) South Asian Premiere
5pm – 6pm
- PANEL DISCUSSION on DOES NUCLEAR POWER HAVE A FUTURE? with eminent panelists Praful Bidwai, Rohan D'Souza and Hitomi Kamanaka
6.30pm – 9.00pm
- ASHES TO HONEY – Hitomi Kamanaka (115 min, 2010, documentary, Japan) South Asian Premiere FOLLOWED BY DISCUSSION WITH THE FILMMAKER